Doing the Sale
Lots of changes were needed in 2021, due to COVID-19, as you would expect. Here's the overview. We hope to be back to something close to normal for 2022.
- YOU NEEDED A RESERVED TIME TO SHOP AT THE SALE in 2021. Each person was limited to a single shopping entry time on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. Sunday signup is explained here.
- The plant sale was outdoors at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds, so there was open air and lots of space between shoppers. See maps and more here.
- The sale was open an extra day. The dates were Thursday, May 6 to Sunday, May 9. State guidelines limited the number of shoppers at a time, so the extra day meant we could accommodate more shoppers, though still many fewer than in a regular year. Sunday was still our usual 1/3-off discount day.
- In keeping with COVID requirements, each person was required to wear a mask, keep social distance, and meet all the current state health guidelines. See Getting In and COVID Safety.
- There was no printed catalog in 2021. The 2021 plants are listed under Find Plants. As usual, we have photos of plants, descriptions, and the ability to make your shopping list to print or use on your phone. And we will also have posted a PDF listing of the plants to the Catalog page with the plant names, catalog numbers, pot sizes and prices. It won't be the same as the catalog, but can at least be printed if wanted as a reference.
- There were changes to the plant selection. Being outdoors in the earliest days of May meant we can’t have as many cold-sensitive plants. So no hanging baskets this year, no Outdoor/Indoor section, and some other examples: no begonias, coleus, or impatiens. If you want the full explanation, here's a blog post about that.
- There was no Garden Fair. Because the Garden Fair revolves around the Wristband Booth and people waiting to get into the sale, and none of that will be happening because of COVID restrictions,
Download the four-page flyer we mailed in January explaining the changes (PDF, 1MB).