Doing the Sale
Lots of changes are in store this year, due to COVID-19, as you would expect. Here's the overview.
- The plant sale will be outdoors at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds, so there’s open air and lots of space between shoppers. See maps and more here.
- The sale will be open an extra day. The dates are Thursday, May 6 to Sunday, May 9. State guidelines limit the number of shoppers at a time, so the extra day means we can accommodate more shoppers, though still many fewer than in a regular year. Sunday is still our usual 1/3-off discount day.
- Each person will sign up ahead of time for a single shopping entry time on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday (plus a second Sunday slot if wanted), wear a mask, keep social distance, and meet all the current state health guidelines. See Getting In and COVID Safety.
- Seeds, bulbs, and bareroots will be sold online ahead of time starting March 1. Seed orders will be mailed. Bulbs and bareroots will be picked up curbside during the plant sale May 6–8 without needing to enter the sale. More info here.
- There is no printed catalog this year. We know that's a big change (maybe the biggest!). The 2021 plants will be updated here by March 1. As usual, we will have photos of plants, descriptions, and the ability to make your shopping list to print or use on your phone. And shortly after March 1 we will also post a PDF listing of the plants to the Catalog page with the plant names, catalog numbers, pot sizes and prices. It won't be the same as the catalog, but can at least be printed if wanted as a reference.
- There are changes to the plant selection. Being outdoors in the earliest days of May means we can’t have as many cold-sensitive plants. So no hanging baskets this year, no Outdoor/Indoor section, and some other examples: no begonias, coleus, or impatiens. If you want the full explanation, we'll have a blog post about it a bit later.
- There is no Garden Fair. Because the Garden Fair revolves around the Wristband Booth and people waiting to get into the sale, and none of that will be happening because of COVID restrictions,
Dates to remember:
- Volunteer signups opened on February 1 – 8:00 a.m.
- March 1 – 8:00 a.m. Online seed and bulb store opens at 2021plantsale.com
- April 1 – 8:00 a.m. Shopping entry time signups start at 2021plantsale.com
- April 28 – 11:59 p.m. Online seed and bulb store closes
- May 6–9: Plant sale!
- May 8 – 5:00 p.m. Discount sale shopping entry time signups start at 2021plantsale.com
As always, send questions to email@example.com!
Download the four-page flyer we mailed in January explaining the changes (PDF, 1MB).