Doing the Sale
The sale returned to something close to normal for 2022.
- You did NOT need a reservation time to shop at the sale. We used our usual wristband system. See Getting In for details.
- We required proof of vaccination OR a negative COVID test. Details are in the COVID Safety section.
- Masks were required (also described in the COVID Safety section).
- The plant sale was back in the Grandstand at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds, with more of the plants moved outside in front and other changes made to allow more space between tables, shoppers, and volunteers. We made some major changes to the sale’s floor plan, shown on the map. Highlights: the entrance goes into the outside fenced area, Perennials are outside along with the Info Desk, and the tallyers and cashiers are also outside what used to be the exit door. And we added temporary plant parking: If you need to leave your plants and get more, you can park them (with your name) in a volunteer-supervised area near the entrance to the checkout line.
- Everything was sold in-person during sale hours. Seeds, bulbs, bareroots and mushrooms were not for sale online in 2022.
- The sale was back to its usual days and hours. The dates were Friday, May 6 to Sunday, May 8.
- The printed catalog was back! The pdf is posted in the Catalog section, and you can also see all the plants under Find Plants with photos, descriptions, and the ability to make your shopping list to print or use on your phone.
- There are still no hanging baskets. But we brought back the Outdoor/Indoor area within the Annuals section, and other cold-intolerant plants. They are generally located inside the Grandstand.
- The Garden Fair is back, including the Minnesota Water Garden Society! There were no workshops in the Garden Fair, however.
- There were over 480 new plant varieties in the 2022 sale, including 151 annuals, 123 perennials, 61 shrubs or trees, 26 unusual and rare plants, and 74 vegetables.